text for 4thyr uni. mycology/phycology course?

Louise Wootton wootton at starburst.cbl.cees.edu
Thu Sep 28 22:53:22 EST 1995

Hi,
I am slated to teach the mycology section of a 4th year biology class
next semester.  The course will have 3 sub-units.. one on phycology, one
on mycology and one on bryophytes.  It has been many eons since I took
mycology.  At that time we used a botany text that was dryer than good
wine.  I would very much like to find something reasonably well written
and illustrated, but not to "froo-froo"... this is, after all a 400 level
course.  Of course, ideally the text would also have sections on
bryophytes and algae, as students cannot reasonably be asked to shell out
for 3 texts for one class.  Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
Also, any good mycology references for me to bone up on my knowledge?
THanks,
Louise
* Louise Wootton  Wootton at starburst.umd.edu  Grad. Student,  Marine Science *
* Check out my new web page!!!  http://starburst.umd.edu/louise/louise.html *
*  If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough questions  *
*  And that's a big mistake.  F. Wilczek                                    *