phytophthora transformation????

Brett Tyler bmtyler at UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri Sep 29 14:54:42 EST 1995

One of the best Phytophthora transformation systems has been developed for
Phytophthora infestans by Howard Judelson who is now at the Department of
Plant Pathology, University of California, Riverside
(judelson at UCRAC1.UCR.EDU).  He is getting rates of around 1000 per
microgram DNA.

You should be aware however that promoters from true fungi (ascomycetes,
basidiomycetes, zygomycetes, chytridiomycetes) do NOT work well in the
cells of oomycetes, which are phylogentically related to heterokont algae.
Splicing of introns may also be a problem.  You would need to expresss
cDNAs in an oomycete expression vector.  Howard Judelson has developed such
vectors.

>Hello,
>        I would like to know whether Phytophthora sp. is easily transformed,
>at a high frequency. The idea is to screen a genomic library from a
>different fungus in Phytophthora, for expression of a phenotype. It seems
>like a long shot to me, but I would appreciate some input from others that
>have worked on Phytophthora, as I'm a beginner on this fungus. Please post
>any suggestions on this newsgroup, or email directly to me. Thanks.
>
>Dimitri Georgakopoulos
>Institute of Mol. Biology and Biotechnology
>Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas
>PO Box 1527
>Heraklion, Crete, Greece
>
>email: dgeorga at nefeli.imbb.forth.gr

Brett Tyler