spring sightings

Mon Apr 8 23:53:27 EST 1996

In article <4k8u0u$74q at kelly.teleport.com>, wjh at teleport.com (William Hunt) writes:
>Saturday April 6, Kelly Point Park, Portland, Oregon:
>
>	only one small blonde morel  (sandy soil under cottonwoods).
>	one very nice large clump of oyster mushrooms (on downed
>		cottonwood.  also some very small new growth.)
>	a few week-old Verpa.

Black morels started emerging in Southern Vancouver Island shortly before
April 5th.  My new 16 square foot cultivated patch, inoculated in November,
has produced 5 large morels and 2 small ones so far.  Funny thing- the
fruiting was around the edges, particularly where the grass at the edge
plant roots and some Morchella spp.-  I was wondering if anyone else
with cultivated morels has noticed a correlation between fruiting and
presence ograsses?   -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773