Mould in Buildings

amdata amdata at el-dorado.ca.us
Tue Apr 9 23:51:17 EST 1996

John wrote:
> >I would be pleased to hear from anyone who can debunk the
> >other witnesses statements. I will be not so pleased, but
> >nevertheless grateful if anyone can substantiate his views!
>
> Doug Rice wrote:
> Hello John:
> Mold requires three things to flourish in any environment.  A suitable
> nutrient, a place to attach, and moisture.  An airborne mold spore that lands
> on a surface that provides food and water will grow.  The mold is not picky
> about its source of water.
>
> Your adversary witness is assuming that mold must have a unique water source.

Hi John and Douglas:

    I am an amateur mycologist and would not presume to
argue about the growth patterns of particular fungi, but wish
to add an additional perpsective - gleaned from years of studying the
propogation of moisture through soil and other
materials in order to design appropriate sensors:

If there is not sufficient moisture available to create total saturation,
the pattern of wetting of a material depends on the
relative location of the moisture source and the drying sinks. If a
piece of plaster or gypsum wallboard is wetted from behind, for example,
the diffusion of the moisture may cause a larger circle of moisture
on one side (source) than the other(sink).
A pattern for a given site can be determined on the specifics.

Likewise, if a wall surface is wetted from humid air or splashing from
the same side that (active) drying occurs, one expects a shallow
moist layer on the wetted side where fungal growth might flourish best.
The opposite side of the porous material, if exposed to similar drying
but not to wetting, would be relatively less hospitable to hydrophyllic
growth.

Steuart Bjornsson

ESB