Fungi and light

Eric Robb Siegel esiegel at UNIX1.SNCC.LSU.EDU
Tue Apr 30 19:01:31 EST 1996

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, paul cotton wrote:

> My daughter has ivestigated the rate of growth of Sordaria fimicola in
> different wavelengths of light. She finds that within the limits of her
> experiments that S.fimicola seems to grow better in green light than in
> any other colour or in darkness. Can anyone point to relevant research
> done in this area?

I think Margaret Daub's group at North Carolina State has been looking at
photoregulation of cercosporin biosynthesis in Cercospora kikuchiana, and
they may have found that blue light gave the most stimulation.  They had
the biosynthesis genes cloned, and were in a position to look at the
effects of light wavelength on promoter activity.