Reply to: Green fluorescent protein

Dan Ebbole dje0282 at VMS1.TAMU.EDU
Sun Aug 4 15:05:34 EST 1996

Expression of GFP seems to be relatively difficult in fungi.  Because of
Candid codons, a synthetic GFP was made and that works well.  I think Pete
Magee or one of those Candida guys could help you with it.  I tried a 1st
generation Clontech GFP in N. crassa and got nothing when fused to con-10
(should have been very high expression).  But this was not an extremely
serious effort, just a quick check. I am waiting for someone else to get it
going in N.crassa so I wish you the best.  Try the Candida optimized gene

Dear Mycologists,

Has anybody expressed the gree fluorescent protein in Candida albicans
and Neurospora crassa? I am interested in expressing GFP in these two
fungi and would like to know what has already been done in that area.

J. Agnan

Dr. Daniel Ebbole
dje0282 at
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Plant Pathology and Microbiology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-2132