Help with Penicillium

Stephen P. Bentivenga invam at WVNVM.WVNET.EDU
Mon Aug 5 12:49:30 EST 1996

Mycologists:  I received the following request for help.  Unfortunately, it
is a bit out of my area.  Could someone with more expertise than me please
respond directly to the question?

Thanks for any help.

- Steve Bentivenga

>Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 14:35:47 -0700
>To: invam at wvnvm.wvnet.edu
>From: bayesw at eburg.com (William Bayes)
>
>Dr. Bentivenga:
>
>I am sending this email in hopes that someone may be of assistance in
>sending me information and/or where I might find information on Penicillium
>notatum (P. chryrogenum) - specifically as it may play a role as a pathogen
>in human beings.
>
>The reason that I am requesting this information is that  the school
>building in which I teach has been under major remodeling during the past
>two years.  During this time much of the interior was subjected to a great
>deal of water damage.  Staff and students became and continue to be ill.
>Mold has been found growing on computer mouse pads.  Also, in some
>individuals, the antibodies for Penicillium notatum was found in blood
>samples.  Therefore, I consider this search for information to be of no
>small importance and the results would possibly be beneficial to a great
>many people.  The local and state health departments, I'm afraid, have not
>been able to be of much help.
>
>Any assistance that  you may give in this matter would be greatly
>appreciated by all.
>Thank you for your time.
>
>Cordially,
>
>William K. Bayes
>1003 Mt. View
>Ellensburg, Washington 98926    USA
>Phone:  509-925-3364
>Email:  bayesw at eburg.com

        .|             Stephen P. Bentivenga, Ph.D.        __            __
        ||             Division of Plant and Soil Sciences   \          /
      _/ |____         401 Brooks Hall - Box 6057             \        /
    _/    *   | _.--.  West Virginia University                \  /\  /
  _/     WVU  |/ _/\_) Morgantown, WV  26506-6057               \/  \/
(           __/        Phone:    304-293-3911                     \      /
 \        _/           FAX:      304-293-2872                      \    /
  \_    _/             Internet: invam at wvnvm.wvnet.edu              \  /
    `--'               www:      http://invam.caf.wvu.edu            \/