Help with Penicillium

Douglas J. Connor dougzen at humboldt1.com
Mon Aug 5 19:24:19 EST 1996

Stephen P. Bentivenga wrote:

> Mycologists:  I received the following request for help.  Unfortunately, it
> is a bit out of my area.  Could someone with more expertise than me please
> respond directly to the question?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> - Steve Bentivenga

> >Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 14:35:47 -0700
> >To: invam at wvnvm.wvnet.edu
> >From: bayesw at eburg.com (William Bayes)
> >
> >Dr. Bentivenga:
> >
> >I am sending this email in hopes that someone may be of assistance in
> >sending me information and/or where I might find information on Penicillium
> >notatum (P. chryrogenum) - specifically as it may play a role as a pathogen
> >in human beings.
> >
> >The reason that I am requesting this information is that  the school
> >building in which I teach has been under major remodeling during the past
> >two years.  During this time much of the interior was subjected to a great
> >deal of water damage.  Staff and students became and continue to be ill.
> >Mold has been found growing on computer mouse pads.  Also, in some
> >individuals, the antibodies for Penicillium notatum was found in blood
> >samples.  Therefore, I consider this search for information to be of no
> >small importance and the results would possibly be beneficial to a great
> >many people.  The local and state health departments, I'm afraid, have not
> >been able to be of much help.
> >
> >Any assistance that  you may give in this matter would be greatly
> >appreciated by all.
> >Thank you for your time.
> >
> >Cordially,
> >
> >William K. Bayes
> >1003 Mt. View
> >Ellensburg, Washington 98926    USA
> >Phone:  509-925-3364
> >Email:  bayesw at eburg.com

>         .|             Stephen P. Bentivenga, Ph.D.        __            __
>         ||             Division of Plant and Soil Sciences   \          /
>       _/ |____         401 Brooks Hall - Box 6057             \        /
>     _/    *   | _.--.  West Virginia University                \  /\  /
>   _/     WVU  |/ _/\_) Morgantown, WV  26506-6057               \/  \/
>  /             _/                                                .        __
> (           __/        Phone:    304-293-3911                     \      /
>  \        _/           FAX:      304-293-2872                      \    /
>   \_    _/             Internet: invam at wvnvm.wvnet.edu              \  /
>     `--'               www:      http://invam.caf.wvu.edu            \/
Although this may or may not ultimately help you, both my fiance and
myself have had a penicillium mold that is in our house, clothing,
etc.and it has invaded our bodies. It has been building up for about two
years in our mid sections and legs (though this is not obvious). It also
has caused partial baldness in both of us. It has an unusual odor which
permeated our other house. It emits a sticky or oily yellow to orange
substance. Does any of this sound familiar. If so write me please.
dougzen at humboldt1.com