Can anyone ID this mushroom?

Eileen Seto eseto at uniserve.com
Sun Aug 4 01:50:13 EST 1996

Hi there!

I stumbled across a cream-coloured mushroom that I think is a Russula
cause the stalk was pretty brittle, but I'm not sure of the species. I'm
really interested in finding out what it was, cause it smelled distinctly
like Amaretto. At first, I thought it might be Russula fragrantissima, but
none of the pictures I've seen of that species in my field guides look the
same.

I have a picture of the mushroom in question at:

http://users.uniserve.com/~eseto/wrussula.html

(There's also a link to my mushroom photo page from the above URL if
anyone's interested.)

Thanks,

Eileen :-)