Metasequoia or Ginko mycorrhizae

Jerry Haugen mycowrld at cdsnet.net
Mon Aug 12 19:26:30 EST 1996

Mycos wrote:

>    What does the fossil record contain regarding higher fungi? I
> realize that fungi do not lend themselves well to fossilization but
> surely there must be a few instances discovered. Any and all related
> info on the subject will be welcome. Thanks.
>
>                              Gary Williams <williams at netshop.net>

I though no one would ever ask, but there is a web page devoted to this
very topic, with a picture:
http://ucmp1.berkeley.edu/fungi/fungifr.html

Also, Bryce Kendrick notes on page 262 of his book "The Fifth Kingdom"
that:
 "The relationships presumeably developed in more than one direction:
some fungi remained saprobic; others became destructive parasites,
causing wilts and root rots; yet others evolved into a mutually
beneficial symbiosis.  Proof of this lies in the fact that fossils of
some Devonian plants contain well-preserved fungal structures just like
those we can find in the roots of more than 90% of healthy modern plant
species."

-Jerry-
--
Jerry Haugen