amplification of DNA fragments >5kb

Barbara Howlett howlett at botany.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Aug 16 00:47:18 EST 1996

We are attempting to amplify the non-transcribed intergenic spacer of
ribosomal DNA of the ascomycete Leptosphaeria maculans.  Southern
analysis indicates that there are different sized rDNA repeat units in
individual L.maculans isolates, and we expect that this variation is
within the intergenic spacer, which probably contains different
numbers of repeated elements.

In experiments using Promega Taq or Tth DNA polymerase we have been
unable to consistently amplify fragments longer than 3.5 kb, although
we expect some intergenic spacers to be up to 5.5 kb. Does anyone have
any experience with PCR systems that can amplify fragments of over 5
kb which contain repetitive sequences?

Thanks
Barbara Howlett
School of Botany