Post doc in fungal mol. biol/genetic - Arizona

vanetten at ag.arizona.edu vanetten at ag.arizona.edu
Fri Aug 16 13:39:13 EST 1996

Position:  Post Doctoral Associate

Duration: Funds are available for at least two years.

Position Available: Immediately

Responsibility: There are two projects and the choice of which is
undertaken will depend on the interest and qualifications of the
applicants.
	The objective of one project is to characterize the genes encoding pisatin
detoxifying  cytochrome P450 enzymes found in fungi that are pathogens of
pea.  Pisatin is an antimicrobial compound (phytoalexin) produced by pea in
response to infection.   Biochemical studies have demonstrated that pisatin
detoxifying P450s from different pea pathogens are highly specific for
pisatin as a substrate suggesting a specific adaptation to this chemical
among different pathogens of a common host.   The genes for these P450s
(called PDA) have been cloned and characterized from Nectria haematococca
where they have been shown to function as virulence factors for this pea
pathogen.  The objective of this project is to isolate PDA genes from other
fungal pathogens of pea, compare them with those from N. haematococca and
determine what role they might play in the virulence of these other fungi
on pea.
	The second project involves  apparently unique and dispensable genes
affecting the pathogenesis of N. haematococca on pea.  In this fungus at
least two genes (called PEP genes) that affect virulence on pea  are known
to be clustered within ca. 10 kb of a PDA gene on a  dispensable (DS)
chromosome. Isolates of this fungus are pathogens of many different plants.
 The goal of this project is to determine the distribution of PEP genes in
isolates of N. haematococca pathogenic on plants other than pea. This
project together with efforts to understand the biochemical function and
regulation of the expression of these genes is part of a collaborative
effort with Dr. Harold Kistler's group (University of Florida).
Information about the distribution of PEP and PDA genes in N. haematococca
will help us test  our current hypothesis that unique genes determining
pathogenicity on specific hosts are located on dispensable portions of the
genome of this broad host range species.

Previous publications related to this project: Miao et al.  1991. Science
254: 1773; Maloney &VanEtten  1994.  Mol. Gen. Genetics 243: 506;.Reimmann
& VanEtten.  1994  Gene 146: 221;  Covert et al. 1996  Mol. Gen. Genetics
251:397.

Qualifications: Ph.D.  Prior research experience in molecular 	biology,
microbiology, ecology, population genetics or related fields is required.

Application:  Applicants should submit a letter of application, a resume of
biographical data and professional experience, and the names of three
individuals who will serve as references to:  Hans VanEtten, Department of
Plant Pathology, Forbes 204, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721 or
vanetten at ag.arizona.edu (520 - 621-9355).  The University of Arizona is an
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.  Women and Minorities are
encouraged to apply.

--
conceited.little.tart
alt.bbs
alt.bbs.ads
alt.bbs.allsysop
alt.bbs.drealmbbs
alt.bbs.gigo-gateway
alt.bbs.internet
alt.bbs.lists
alt.bbs.lists.d
alt.bbs.majorbbs
alt.bbs.renegade
alt.bbs.unixbbs
alt.bbs.uupcb
alt.bbs.watergate
alt.bbs.wme
alt.beer
alt.belvoir
alt.beneficent.daemons.bless.curse.bless
alt.beograd
alt.bermuda.triangle.billing
alt.best.of.internet
alt.best_of_theo_sequiera
alt.bigfoot.die.die.die
alt.bigfoot.research
alt.binaries.bruce-lloyd
alt.binaries.clip-art
alt.binaries.doom
alt.binaries.misc
alt.binaries.multimedia
alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica
alt.binaries.pictures
alt.binaries.pictures.animals
alt.binaries.pictures.anime
alt.binaries.pictures.ascii
alt.binaries.pictures.astro
alt.binaries.pictures.bruce-lloyd
alt.binaries.pictures.cartoons
alt.binaries.pictures.celebrities
alt.binaries.pictures.d
alt.binaries.pictures.dorks
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.anime
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.bestiality
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.bondage
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.cartoons
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.d
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.fetish
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.furry
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.male
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.spatch
alt.binaries.pictures.fine-art.d
alt.binaries.pictures.fractals
alt.binaries.pictures.furry
alt.binaries.pictures.girlfriend
alt.binaries.pictures.girlfriends
alt.binaries.pictures.misc
alt.binaries.pictures.nudism
alt.binaries.pictures.tasteless
alt.binaries.pictures.utilities
alt.binaries.sounds.bruce-lloyd
alt.binaries.sounds.cartoons
alt.binaries.sounds.d
alt.binaries.sounds.midi
alt.binaries.sounds.misc
alt.binaries.sounds.mods
alt.binaries.sounds.movies
alt.binaries.sounds.tv
alt.binaries.sounds.utilities
alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc
alt.binaries.warez.mac
alt.bio.hackers
alt.bio.minority
alt.bitch.ewokie
alt.bonehead.andy-beckwith
alt.bonehead.david-delaney
alt.bonehead.derrick-miles
alt.bonehead.joel-furr
alt.bonehead.karl-denninger
alt.bonehead.pat-wetmore
alt.bonehead.paul-hendry
alt.bonehead.steve-chaney
alt.bonehead.tim-pierce
alt.bonehead.tom-servo
alt.bonsai
alt.books.m-lackey
alt.books.phil-k-dick
alt.books.sf.melanie-rawn
alt.books.stephen-king
alt.books.technical
alt.books.toffler
alt.books.tom-clancy
alt.boomerang
alt.brain
alt.brian.saunders.pot.kettle.black
alt.brother-jed
alt.bubba-love.el-caminoville
alt.buddha.short.fat.guy
alt.business.import-export
alt.business.internal-audit
alt.business.multi-level
alt.business.seminars
alt.cable-tv.re-regulate
alt.cad.autocad
alt.calc-reform
alt.california
alt.callahans
alt.canadian.beaver
alt.cancel.armenian.garbage
alt.cancel.bots
alt.captain.sarcastic
alt.cars.Ford-Probe
alt.cascade
alt.caving
alt.ccds
alt.cd-rom
alt.cd-rom.reviews
alt.celebrities
alt.cellular-phone-tech
alt.cellular.oki.900
alt.censorship
alt.centreville-3207
alt.check.her.miss-jesus
alt.child-support
alt.children's-camps
alt.chinese.computing
alt.chinese.text
alt.christnet
alt.christnet
alt.christnet.atheism
alt.christnet.bible
alt.christnet.bible-thumpers.convert.convert.convert
alt.christnet.christianlife
alt.christnet.christnews
alt.christnet.comp.dcom.telecom
alt.christnet.crybaby.mine.mine.mine
alt.christnet.dinosaur
alt.christnet.dinosaur.barney
alt.christnet.ethics
alt.christnet.eucharist.eat-me.eat-me.eat-me
alt.christnet.eucharist.eat-me.eat-me.eat-me
alt.christnet.evangelical
alt.christnet.games
alt.christnet.games.ibm-pc
alt.christnet.hypocrisy
alt.christnet.hypocrisy
alt.christnet.manga
alt.christnet.manga
alt.christnet.manga
alt.christnet.philosophy
alt.christnet.prayer
alt.christnet.public
alt.christnet.religion
alt.christnet.religion
alt.christnet.second-coming.real-soon-now
alt.christnet.sex
alt.christnet.theology
alt.chrome.the.moon
alt.clearing.homer-w-smith