unknown "mega"fungi

mwells mwells at INDIGO.IE
Mon Aug 19 16:53:06 EST 1996

Dear sir/madam,
while roaming through an isolated forest island in the Barrow river
section yesterday I came across a gigantic single specimen that was
simply irresistible. I know that perhaps it should have been left to rot
and replicate there, but worst comes to the worst you can insist i
donate it to the Botany Dept at TCD or send you some. Anyway it reminded
me of some childhood memory of Ffloyd farting on about chikeny shrooms
and there was nothing else but dry timber and ivy and a lonely goat to
be had, luckily Mark caught a Pike so the shroom is still sitting here
with me.
Oh yeah it`s a creamy color all round but for the stem, spongy underside
with a firm feel to it`s structure.I pulled it off a rotting tree and
it still feels soft and smells sweet tonight. It`s roughly 35-40cm in
diameter but with a kind of semi-circular shape. There a "tongue" or
protrusion that flips out from the funnel-like well cavity that was
lushly filled with fresh rain and juicy insects when the grievius greed
of humanity and wanton "gimme more" came over me. It has a darkish tint
in the well like draining structure and there is a stem that is dark
brown/black thick hard and seriously phalic with a micro version of the
big one sprouting from the stem. The surface has a wavy concentrically
contoured faint light brown visual effect against the creamy white
background on the topside. The upper top is ridged with small  creases
that drain into the well or is it a spring? ps it does disappear into a
pie like tube down into the stem.
I`m really hungry and would love to fry it now but will wait your
advice. I am not by nature a shroom picker for munchies and hope you
won`t hold it against me. I`d appreciate it if you culd respond asap
with any suggestions for i couldn`t find any similar photos in a Collins
guide of 1980. I could fax a drawing if required. The best way to
contact me by day is at tcabot at csi.ie or you can reply to here.
Thinking of spores,
yours,
Mark and tim