Odour production at professional Agaricus composting sites

Mark Spear MCSpear at msn.com
Thu Aug 22 05:29:21 EST 1996

I'm not a composter but I visit many Agaricus farms in the course of
my job.  There are a few general rules that can help like reduce
anaerobic smells (fecal smells).  However the only really effective
overall solution to date is "indoor" Phase I.  This can be in Phase I
tunnels or bunkers.  This is not cheap.  There are a number of
venders who will be more than happy to take large amounts of money to
help out.  In fact the biggest composter in Holland (CNC) now uses
Phase I tunnels exclusively.  It has caused a few problems for
growers but they appear to be able to adjust.

While it can cost a great deal there are other advantages to these systems.
	1) They save a lot of warf space and can allow a farm to build more
on a small site.
	2) You can save 15-25% of raw materials.
	3) You are supposed to be able to get more uniform compost summer and winter.
	4) Compost preparation times are much shorter and can be more automated.

Remember this technology is still mostly experimental.  If you do
this pick a vendor who has several successful customers then go see
at least two!

Hope this helps.

    ---- Mark