Trichophyton verrucosum

Lester Pasarell Lester.Pasarell at UTMB.EDU
Fri Aug 30 09:45:16 EST 1996

At 01:28 PM 8/29/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, I was wondering if you could recommend a culture medium for the
>isolation of Trichophyton verrucosum. The samples we usually get are
>from cows and we have a huge environmental overgrowth problem - so
>our isolation rate using traditional media is pathetic. Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.
>                                 Thanks alot,
>                                 Liz Burrows ( BurrowsL at pnorth.mqm.govt.nz)
>                                 Batchelar Animal Health Laboraory,
>                                 Ministry of Agriculture,
>                                 Palmerston North,
>                                 New Zealand.

I have seen a paper somewhere by J. Kane and or R. Summerbell for a medium
which is selective...or used for the ID of T verrucosum...
a lot of specialized media has been made by Dr Kane in the dermatophytes,
so if you do a literature search ...use his name....

But...I have not tryed this....how about making a medium with thiamine
and inositol...needed for T verrucosum growth, adding GEntamicin and
chlorampehicol...to inhibit them pesky bacteria that contaminate our fungus
cultures and adding Cycloheximide for inhibiting Aspegillus and the like and
throwing the culture at 37c instead of 25-30 since the growth of T
verrucosum is really faster at that temperature when compared to 30c. I do
not know of any medium that would be commercially available
with all this ingredients combined together..and I do not know if
if the combination of high temperature plus cychlo will have any effect
on the growth and isolation of this dermatophyte...since it has been
reported in other fungi...like Histoplasma.
Another alternative would be to use the hair bating method...taking a sample
stiking or laying some sterile hairs on top and wait for the dermatphyte to
grow....would be quite tedious/time consuming for a
medical/veterinary laboratory.

Some references/procedures for the isolation of fungi and yeast from
contaminated specimens... depending if the contaminant is
bacteria or another fungi  appear in the following book:

Laboratory Handbook of Medical Mycology by M.R Mcginnis 1980, Academic
Press isbn=0-12-482850-7

Pleas let me know if you need additional information and or ideas....

lester

Lester Pasarell-Luiggi
Medical Mycology Reference Laboratory
Department of Pathology