cortinarius and amanitas from Spain

Regis.Courtecuisse Regis.Courtecuisse at phare.univ-lille2.fr
Mon Dec 16 13:07:21 EST 1996

In article <v02140b04aed7cb6d4a12@[192.107.185.53]>,
jmurphy at TFM.FMNH.ORGMurphy says...

>Dear fellow mycologists;
>        Regarding the recent discussion concerning use of fungi as a
>resource, and concerns about the conservation of fungi...
>        I admit to sometimes holding strong environmentalist tendencies,
>and I certainly relate to R. Courtecuisse's  sentiments -
>        But what concerns me is the scientific documentation for these
>sentiments.
>        Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but in
developing informed management plans for fungi we really need more data.
>Does anyone know of studies which have concluded a detrimental effect on
fungi by collecting?

>sincerely,
>
>Jack Murphy

Hi !
Thanks Jack for the precision. Of course I knew Eef Arnold's reference
(but not Lorelei Norvell's one -thanks for it) and I must aggree with
these objective studies results. I also have another reference from the
last european meeting in Wageningen (1995) : S.Egli from Switzerland told
something about the influence of harvesting fruitbodies on the
macromycetes. Unfortunately, I don't have the summary at hand at the
moment but I (think I) remember (well) that one of the conclusions
concerned the trampling on the soil ground, which was harmful to mycelia
though compacting the soil. (I promise to look for the paper and to post
the result of my investigations with this communation).
The point is to know if people collect fungi and will ever collect them
without destroying mycelia (some methods of collecting are really harmful
and short-sighted) and without walking, trampling and compating too
much...
But, I aggree that my reaction was perhaps a little bit too much
aggressive and pessimistic. Nevertheless, I would be enclined not to be
decidedly optimistic. We must keep a strong concern about the collecting
practices and the potential threat they apply on forest and fungal
future.
Regards.
	Regis