cortinarius and amanitas from Spain

Palm, Mary MaryP at NT.ARS-GRIN.GOV
Tue Dec 17 12:26:26 EST 1996

Dear fellow mycologists
I don't have details on additional studies regarding the effect of
harvesting on mushroom production, etc.  but I thought I would let you know
about a book that is at the publisher now that deals with this topic in
general - it is Mycology in Sustainable Development: Expanding Concepts,
Vanishing Borders  edited by myself and Ignacio Chapela.  The book contains
the proceedings from a "workshop" on the topic at the Mycological Society of
America meeting in San Diego in August 1995.  One of the topics covered is
'Non-timber forest products" - especially fungi in this case.  Redhead
provides an excellent overview chapter - then three following chapters deal
specifically with the harvest of wild mushrooms (esp. the Pine Mushroom -
American Matsutake) in Canada, the Pacific Northwest, and Mexico.  All had a
different focus and perspective due to regional differences.  There is an
excellent example of managed collection of fungi and managed use of forests
in Oaxaca, Mexico.  Additionally, Pilz and Molina state that in the Pacific
NW the income from a stand of trees over its typical rotation time-period
can be worth more than the one time  harvest of the trees.   Social and
regulatory aspects are addressed as well as review of information on
overharvesting.

If you are interested in the book you can contact the publisher - Parkway
Publishers Inc. at aluri at netins.net or
http://www.netins.net/showcase/alurir.  The book is about 315 pages and
costs $40.

We are interesting in additional discussion of the topic at hand - as well
as other aspects of Mycology in Sustainable Development (biocontrol, novel
products, etc. etc.).  If you are interested in participating please let me
know (maryp at nt.ars-grin.gov)

Sincerely
Mary Palm