Time of harvesting (corrected copy)

DanielG979 danielg979 at aol.com
Sun Dec 29 14:30:37 EST 1996

I am posting the following correction thanks to editing provided by David
W. Fischer, Co-author, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
"Mushrooms of Northeastern North America".  Thank you  Professor Fischer,
I deeply appreciate your contributions to mycology and mycophagy and
especially would like to know your current opinions on the Time of
Harvesting and its effect on future populations.  This is a subject of
great debate in the S.F. bay area because of the proliferation of gourmet
restaurants and the paucity of employment.  Many homeless types are
becoming mushroom gatherers and the papers are publicizing amateur
mycology.  My own observation is that the mycophile envoronment is
deteriorating rapidly due to an absence of clearly stated gathering
policies from expert authorities.  What are your thoughts on this?

The corrected text:

"It all comes down to whether or not the spores are allowed to emerge
before harvesting in my view.  Picking fruiting bodies before they are
allowed to release their spores will greatly inhibit certain species
especially those found in fields; especially fairy rings, with lesser
effects indecomposers such as the oyster.  Even then it would seem that
the
opportunities for new infestations in unaffected trees would be reduced if
mature spores were not released to fall on the newer trees. A very long
view of time is necessary to give this the attention it merits.  Fairy
rings can be found over 600 years old.  It is a shame to disrupt such a
miraculous process.   If you can't make a spore print with a field
mushroom you should wait until it will make one before you pick it, making
sure the partial veil has dropped and the circumference of the cap has
turned upward to stretch the basidia to release the spores.  Harvesting is
as
exact a discipline as identification.  Your picking of a coprinus needs to
be nearly perfect, preferably with cooking utensils in your pack and a
fire ready to start!

Michael Jordan    astrograph at juno.com