Time of harvesting (corrected copy)

Moselio Schaechter mschaech at SUNSTROKE.SDSU.EDU
Sun Dec 29 20:06:38 EST 1996

Regarding the issue of the effect of picking mushrooms, "DanielG979", in
mentioning fairy ring mushrooms, uses perhaps the worst possible example.
It seems obvious that fairy rings grow by extension of the mycelium, not by
spore dispersal.  Thus, in this case at least, picking fruiting bodies may
well have a negligible effect, just as when a lawn mower cuts the flowers
of grass on a lawn.

On a larger scale, both geographic and temporal, the role of spores vs.
mycelial extension seems to be wide open.  Spore dispersal has an obvious
appeal, based on the fact that fungi have evolved a great variety of
mechanisms to ensure that this happens.  As CT Ingold  points out in the
introduction to his classic "The Fungal Spore" (Clarendon Press, 1971),
dispersal (by spores or otherwise) is not needed only for geographic
extension but also for promoting genetic variability.  The issue is
beclouded by the fact that many (most) mushroom make uninucleate haploid
spores (see Jacobson & Miller, 1994, Mycologia 86:511-516 for a fascinating
piece of work dealing with binucleate basidiospores in Suillus granulatus).
For species that depend on making heterokaryon for fruiting body
development, spore dispersal over wide areas may not readily lead to
mushroom formation.

To determine experimentally if mushroom picking has a long range,
evolutionary effect on a species seems beyond the scope of most research in
this field.  I would appreciate any information regarding studies that deal
with this question directly.

        Elio Schaechter