Picking versus Cutting

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Tue Dec 31 13:15:59 EST 1996

This question seems to come up particularly with regard to morels. Here is
my best thought, once again trying to consider what has the least impact
on the natural processes.

If the morel is left unpicked, it will decay through natural processes
(insects, bacteria, etc.). Hence, cutting near the base of the
stalk---which is the most convenient way for those of us who disdain
having to spend as much time *cleaning* our finds as we do *finding*
them---leaves things more intact ('natural') than plucking the mushroom
and cleaning/trimming the base afterwards.

There's my two cents!

I invite any/all of you to visit my website complex:
http://members.aol.com/xerula

:-D avey

David W. Fischer
Co-author, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and "Mushrooms of
Northeastern North America"