Amanita phalloides look alikes in S.E. Asia?

Mizoguchi, Takeo mizo at
Thu Feb 8 20:36:45 EST 1996

In article <4fdffa$b9p at>, watson at
(John S. Watson - FSC) wrote:

  > Recently there has been another rash of mushroom
  > poisonings in our area due to Amanita phalloides.
  > From what I read in the newspaper, the victims were
  > immigrants from Asia, and mistook Amanita phalloides
  > for an edible Asian variety.  What the paper didn't
  > mention was exactly what was that muchroom, only that
  > it was "straw mushroom" and that it had the same "growth patterns"
  > as Amanita phalloides (they didn't explain what they meant by that).
  > Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew exactly which variety
  > of mushroom this is, and if there are any pictures of it on the net?

Same disaster also occurred in Japan. Families of Chinese student died
by poisoning of Amanita phalloides emerged in a park garden in Nagoya.
They might mistook them as Volvariella volvacea var. volvacea or
Volvariella volvacea var. nigricans both widely cultured in southern
Asian countries. I don't know the cultural characteristics of A.
or V. volvacea, but their habitat is clearly different. A. phalloides
is mycorrhizal species, but V. volvacea is saprophytic one.

Mizoguchi, Takeo       Forestry And Forest Products Research Institute
mizo at

ノノ (  溝口岳男 農林水産省森林総研 養分動態研
のぅ の   −> mizo at
 し      −> PXB10077 at
 ゎ     −> *** What's a mycorrhizology? ***