Ban the fungi imperfecti.......

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 13:22:58 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/mycology #959, from egrunden at prairienet.org, 1581 chars, 4 Feb
1996 05:39:06
> ----------
> Article: 2992 of bionet.mycology
> From: egrunden at prairienet.org (Eric Grunden)
> Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
> Subject: Ban the fungi imperfecti.......
> Date: 4 Feb 1996 05:39:06 GMT
>

> Does anyone else feel that the existence of the so-called
> Deuteromycetes is unscientific and many times redundant?
> After all, these fungi all have (or have had) sexual states
> and so should be placed where they properly belong to best
> demonstrate their phylogenetic relationship to other fungi.
> I'm at a loss to understand what their placement in a grab-bag
> class teaches us, other than their sexual states are rarely
> observed. Big Deal! If the caterpillar state of a certain
> butterfly is rarely observed, we don't place the butterfly
> in a different classification. Help me out here, I'm not
> trying to start a flame-war with the deutero-people, just
> trying to understand why such an unscientific classification
> continues to persist. Can't we just run an analysis on their
> ribosomal DNA and place them where they belong?
> --
>    *******************
> The Spirit of Nature, a powerful force,
>  belongs and returns to its creative source.
> - Excerpted from The Collective Works of Johnny Pokerface -
I'm sorry but I just love the Deutero's as a way of showing that
taxonomy has its little problems. You can then progress to the "mycelia
sterilia" just to show that if things can get worse they will. My
students love it.
Makes them see scientists as poor frail creatures struggling with.....
well, most of the time just struggling.
If you ever dream of thinking that microbial taxonomy and classification
is bad, try soil classification.
Peter Harris,
Reading Univ. U.K.