Truffle crisis in france

smith renate rsmith1 at gl.umbc.edu
Mon Feb 19 20:37:36 EST 1996

I am trying to straighten out some facts on the current truffle crisis
in france. All the articles i have found seem to contradict each other.
I have a 1992 report from Spain about imminemt massproduction, but
nothing mentioned about it again. Did he or didn't he?

I have a 1991 report about the development of a truffle sniffing device
which is never mentioned again.

The best is a 1989 report about two guys in california claiming to have
produced them in their lab. Their names are: Dr. Robert Mah UCLA and
Dr.Arnold Demain MIT. Never heard from them again.

Price quotes range from $50 - $1000 per pound

Decline of truffle production is blamed on everthing from change in
wheather, to WWII, to deforestation, to new taxlaws in 1917.

William Griner from Mendocino CA claims to have perfected high-yield
cultivation, never heard from again.

The latest and most persistent news are about cheap tuber himalayensis
from China being pawned off as the real tuber melanosporum.

I would very much appreciate any updates on the above and also any
sources that are more reliable than the New York Times and the Wall
Street Journal.

thank you in advance, renate m smith