Leaf cutting ants

Eric Grunden egrunden at prairienet.org
Mon Feb 19 19:21:14 EST 1996

In a previous article, claus (Claus Rasmussen) says:

>I would like to do some research on the fungus growing ants (atta sp).
>
>Has anyone here succeded in growing the fungi the ants use ?
>
>I need some references on this topic.

			*******

This was going to be my next topic of discussion as well.

What species of fungi do they grow?

Does the sexual state appear? Is it edible by humans?

Is it the next great, as of yet, undiscovered delicacy?

The documentary on PBS the other night said it only grows
in the ant tunnels. In other words, if those same leaves
fall to the ground, it won't grow on them there. Why?
Does it need ant saliva to germinate? Curious?.....