wood decay fungi

Tom Volk tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 21 08:40:47 EST 1996

Hi Sally.

Sally.Fryar at FLINDERS.EDU.AU (Sally Fryar) wrote:
>I have been doing some work on wood decay fungi in South Australia and have
>found that several species will fruit upon the same branch.  I am interested
>to hear opinions on whether or not we can consider this coexistence of species.

I would say this would be a clear indication of several
species taking advantage of similar niches and similar
conditions in growing on the same branch.  However, the
mycelia of competing individuals have a tendency to not mix
with one another.  Usually one can find black "zone lines"
in the wood (spalted wood) that are caused by individuals
trying to "wall themselves off" from other individuals and
prevent invasion by competing mycelia. Alan Rayner in the
UK has several interesting articles (and a book) on
competition between fungal species, especially in wood. See
for example Rayner & Boddy, 1988.  Fungl decomposition of
wood: its biology and ecology.  Wiley, Chichester.

Hope this helps.
---Tom

Tom Volk                                     (000)
Center for Forest Mycology Research,        (00000)
Forest Products Lab, Madison Wisconsin       (000)
& UW- Madison Dept. of Botany                (000)
tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu                      | |