wood decay fungi

Wed Feb 21 22:57:41 EST 1996

In article <4gf7cv$9c0 at news.doit.wisc.edu>,
Tom Volk <tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu> writes:
>Hi Sally.
>
>Sally.Fryar at FLINDERS.EDU.AU (Sally Fryar) wrote:
>>I have been doing some work on wood decay fungi in South Australia and have
>>found that several species will fruit upon the same branch.  I am interested
>>to hear opinions on whether or not we can consider this coexistence of species.
>
>I would say this would be a clear indication of several
>species taking advantage of similar niches and similar
>conditions in growing on the same branch.  However, the
>mycelia of competing individuals have a tendency to not mix
>with one another.  Usually one can find black "zone lines"
>in the wood (spalted wood) that are caused by individuals
>trying to "wall themselves off" from other individuals and
>prevent invasion by competing mycelia. Alan Rayner in the
>UK has several interesting articles (and a book) on
>competition between fungal species, especially in wood. See
>for example Rayner & Boddy, 1988.  Fungl decomposition of
>wood: its biology and ecology.  Wiley, Chichester.

Tom is right, but I would like to add:
It depends on what is meant by "fruit on the same branch".  If it means
successive fruiting, it is a different story.  For example, Chondrostereum
purpureum is typically an early invader of wounds, and is followed by other
decay fungi like Schizophyllum, etc.  This isn't really simultaneous
coexistence, I guess, but it isn't necessarily out-and-out competition, either.
-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773