wood decay fungi

Thu Feb 22 12:18:56 EST 1996

In article <9602221214.AA20865 at pippin.cc.flinders.edu.au>,
Sally.Fryar at FLINDERS.EDU.AU (Sally Fryar) writes:

>Let me clarify the situation.  In my field site there are branches which
>have 2-4 species fruiting at the same time.  The problem is, if we only
>observe a branch at one time, then we may view these species as coexisting.
>However, the mycelium of one species may be in the process of competitively
>excluding the other species.  In this case, the species WITHIN THAT BRANCH
>are clearly not coexisting.   But... the fact that the species which is
>being overgrown was able to reproduce within that habitat indicates that it
>IS coexisting with the dominant species.
>
>So do you see my problem?

Yes.  It's one of scope.  Perhaps you can tackle it this way:

P.H. Greenwood (citation below) says that coexistence is the outcome of
coevolution.  If you consider the fungi in your tree to be coevolv/ed/ing in
the way that they interact in exploiting the various
temporal/spatial/physiological  niches at your site, then they are at least
beginning to coexist (so you may have a spectrum of coexistence, not a simple
yes/no state).

Citation: Greenwood, P.H. 1981. Coexistence and coevolution: Introduction. In:
The evolving biosphere. Edited by P.L. Florey. British Museum of Natural
History and Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.  pp. 97-101.

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773