Defined growing media for Agaricales

Thomas O'Dell todell at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 26 16:44:35 EST 1996

It may depend on how defined you want to get. It also depends on what
species you are interested, in general saprobes are easier to culture and
fruit than biotrophs (mycorrhizal species are notoriously difficult).
 Though some saprobes are also difficult.
A number of fungi fruit on malt extract or potatoe dextrose agar. I
recall a publication by Gary Leatham with a defined medium for fruiting
Lentinus edodes, in Mycologia ca 1986. Sorry I can't be more specific.
For a variety of media see Watling, R. 1982? (date of pub not included)
How to identify mushroms to genus V: Cultural and developmental features.
Mad River Press, Eureka, CA. ISBN 0-916422-17-8

or Stamets and Chilton. 1985? The Mushroom Cultivator. Agarikon Press.
(this focuses on edible species)
Good Luck!

todell at u.washington.edu
Mycology is better than Urology!