Morels

Wed Jan 10 12:02:25 EST 1996

In article <DKyDKC.C0o at freenet.carleton.ca>,
aw162 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (L Moon) writes:
>When can I expect to find morels on Vancouver Island?
>
>--
>L Moon	  	__
>    		\/

We usually plan our SVIMS (South V. Isl. Myc. Soc.) morel forays for around
Easter or mid April, whichever comes before.  Morels fruit here from that
period right through June, in the case of M. deliciosa.  As for where...
The scarcity of limestone in the S. Island makes this a relatively poor area
for morels, although many of our members have secret patches where they are
locally very abundant.  I don't know much about the North Island, which has
more limestone according to the maps.  Areas rich in calcium and other
minerals, such as burnt areas, barbeque pits, seashell middens, etc. are
often productive here. Unfortunately (for morel hunters), fire control on the
Island has been rather effective lately.  I've just about given up looking for
the few I do find, and have started to concentrate on cultivation.  If anyone
out there wishes to join SVIMS, drop me a line. -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773