Portabella mushrooms

Tom Volk tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 19 14:34:48 EST 1996

Greetings.  I agree with the other posters on this subject.
 Portabella mushrooms are grown from a brown strain of
Agaricus bisporus (a.k.a A.brunnescens.)

It is interesting (to me, anyway) that "Crimini" mushrooms
can also be grown from the same *strain* (not just the same
species) of A.bisporus that yields portabella, but under
somewhat different conditions and (obviously) to a less
developed stage.
---Tom

Tom Volk                                     (000)
Center for Forest Mycology Research,        (00000)
Forest Products Lab, Madison Wisconsin       (000)
& UW- Madison Dept. of Botany                (000)
tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu                      | |