Biological function of hallucinogens in fungi ?

Thomas O'Dell todell at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 23 15:15:43 EST 1996

Psilocybin, at least, is produced in the mycelium. Psilocybe semilanceata
which can inhabit the roots of grasses, shows antagonism in culture to
some other root pathogenic fungi. the same situation occurs with
clavicepitaceous endophytes of grasses except that the compunds are toxic
to animal grazers... so in some cases the "toxin" is apparently involved in
fungal mutualisms with higher plants.

todell at u.washington.edu
Mycology is better than Urology!