Biological function of hallucinogens in fungi ?

Tom Volk tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 23 10:19:47 EST 1996

Jan Sunde <jansunde at dds.nl> wrote:

>There is one major flaw to this theory that strikes me, however.
>How can it then be that some species of mushrooms are edible *no matter in which environment
>they  grow* Of course, the different species of mushrooms are connected to one particular kind
>of environment, but they can't foresee local differences in, say, concentrations of heavy
>metals, etc. Mushrooms do not behave, as far as I know, like mussels that accumulates toxins
>depending on seasonal differences in the local algal flora.

ah, but mushrooms *can* accumulate toxins from the
environment.  certain Laccaria species have been shown to
accumiulate arsenic.  And there was a major study on the
accumulation of radiation and metals  by the fungi after
the chernobyl nuclear accident in the USSR. The lichens in
Scandinavia certainly accumulated radioactive metals,
hence the danger to the reinderr that ate them and the
people who ate the reindeer. As far as I know there is a
wide variability in the amount of toxins produced bya
particular species depending on the strain and the
environmental conditions.  I for one will not eat mushrooms
from fertilized and herbicided lawns and especially golf
courses.

OTOH, Some fungi are apparently able to exclude
environmental toxins, and some fungi have the mechanisms
that happen to produce toxic chemicals in a wide variety of
environments.  But not enough study has been done in this
area to give a definitive answer.  maybe someone else
knows?

---Tom

Tom Volk                                     (000)
Center for Forest Mycology Research,        (00000)
Forest Products Lab, Madison Wisconsin       (000)
& UW- Madison Dept. of Botany                (000)
tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu                      | |