Identification of a nasty fungus

David Pinero ZUBP40A at prodigy.com
Wed Jan 24 19:37:24 EST 1996

   I am currently involved in viable air sampling as part of a Grant
project. I have screened around 300 Andersen air-impactor samples
containing each an average of about a hundred colonies. In the past,
overgrowth problems caused by fungi like Rhizopus, Mucor and Trichoderma
species have occurred in malt agar samples. However, recently I came
across what was the messiest, nastiest overgrowing fungus that beats the
fastest growing Rhizopus isolate by a landslide. After only four days, it
not only covered the standard sized petri dish, but also grew out of it,
about an inch high, forcing the lid open and crawling out down to the
base of the plate. Thick fluffs spread in all directions. This really
took me by surprise. After cleaning and disinfecting, I searched the
literature that I have available, but I couldn't identify for sure this
fungus. Here is a description if anybody wants to help me:

   Isolated from air at New Orleans, Louisiana
   Very broad hyphae (7-10 um) resembling a zygomycete, but septate
throughout. Sterile along most of the colony, except along the edges,
where large amounts of  arthroconidia (the only reproductive structure
found so far) break off. Arthroconidia large, 7-20 um long, variable in
shape but starting off rectangular; some have branching points.
   Colony is orange in color. Has a sweet but unpleasant smell. Texture
is very fluffy, dense (sort of like furry, not thin hairy).
   My best guess is monilia sp., but I had some experience with isolates
of Monilia Sitophila that are quite different (thinner texture, fast but
not so fast growth, more branching, and more widespread conidiation); I
don't have any information on other Monilia species.