Mycological GUT

Keith Klein kklein at vax1.mankato.msus.edu
Thu Jul 25 09:25:28 EST 1996

In article <00003386+0000055f at msn.com>, you say:

>The holy grail of Physics is the General Universal Theory that pretty
>I think this is a rich vein of endeavor for mycologists in general
>and those of us interested in edible fungi especially.  Any agreement?
>
>    ---- Mark

Mark:
My colleague Ernie Boyd and I have been working on something like this for the last
three years. We are trying to get the math right for a reaction-diffusion
mechanism for asymmetric growth. The symmetrical growth problem is much easier
to do. I recently published a review on this topic in: Patterns in Fungal
Development, S. Chiu and D.Moore, eds. Cambridge University Press. I haven't
seen a copy of the book yet myself, but it should be out any day!
Will you be attending the MSA meetings next week? If so, look me up!
Keith Klein
Department of Biological Sciences
Mankato State University
Mankato, MN 56002-8400 USA