Chlorate medium

Keith Klein kklein at vax1.mankato.msus.edu
Thu Jul 25 09:14:04 EST 1996

In article <ymagae-2207961424260001 at f522.ffpri.affrc.go.jp>, ymagae at ffpri.affrc.go.jp (Y. Magae) says:

>  Does anyone know how to make chlorate medium for isolating niaD
>mutanats?   When I try to make the medium, agar dose not solidify.
>  I must be doing something basically wrong.
>  Please help.
>
>  Thank you.
>
>Yumi Magae Ph. D.   ymagae at ffpri.affrc.go.jp
>Forestry and Forest Products Research Institiute
>Tukuba-Norin P.O.Box 16, Tukuba, IBARAKI 305, JAPAN
Try using the recipe from Doe and Leslie, 1993. American Biology Teacher,
vol. 55, pp. 430-433. We have had no difficulty with this recipe.
Otherwise, check your pH. Agar will not solidify if the solution is too
acidic. Good luck!

Keith Klein
Department of Biological Sciences
Mankato State University
Mankato, MN 56002-8400 USA

Send this boy to summer camp! Mycologist/geneticist for hire, rent
or loan! Looking for fun stuff (research) to do summers, will travel.
E-mail: kklein at vax1.mankato.msus.edu