IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Fatality after consuming hallucingenic mushrooms

Alain Gerault gerault at shom.fr
Mon Jun 3 04:06:48 EST 1996

A young man died from an overdose after consuming Psilocybe semilanceata. With 
a group of friends,he had consumed more than 50 of these mushrooms in three 
intakes on the same day. 
Left unattended, he died on the very evening after a few-hour-long coma.
Refer to :
 Intoxication mortelle à la suite de la consommation volontaire et en groupe 
de champignons hallucinogènes.  (Fatal poisening after a group of people 
voluntarily consumed hallucinogenic muhrooms.)
Bulletin de  la Société Mycologique de France
t. 112 (1996) p 1-14

Summary :
The authors report the fatality of a 22-year-old man after he and a group of 
friends voluntarily consumed hallucinogenic mushrooms, in this case Psilocybe 
semilanceata (Fr. : Fr.) Kummer. According to the best of our knowledge, this 
cosmopolitan species had never caused any fatality, this is the first 
observation of this type ever made in the world, so the so-called inocuousness 
of halluninogenic muhrooms is now questionned.

: email : 
Alain.Gérault at shom.fr

More information about the Mycology mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net