IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Fatality after consuming hallucingenic mushrooms

Thomas O'Dell todell at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 4 12:30:25 EST 1996

Most fatalities allegedly due to Psilocybe species are actually from other
mushrooms that are mis-identified. Who identified the mushrooms in
question and how confident are they that only one species was consumed?
Were stomach contents examined, etc...
There is absolutely no reason to beleive that P. semilanceata could cause
death in a human, unless perhaps from some sort of allergic reaction.
Contrary to other posts on this thread 50 specimens of P. semilanceata is
probably not an unreasonable dose particularly if dried. Since this is a
fall fruiting species I presume that they must have been dried, which
causes a reduction in potentcy.

On 3 Jun 1996, Alain Gerault wrote:

> A young man died from an overdose after consuming Psilocybe semilanceata. With

Dr. Thomas E. O'Dell
todell at u.washington.edu
Dept. of Botany, Box 355325
University of Washington
Seattle, WA, 98195-5325

More information about the Mycology mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net