IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Fatality after consuming hallucingenic mushrooms

Tryggvi Emilsson emilsson at ARIES.SCS.UIUC.EDU
Tue Jun 4 18:31:22 EST 1996



On 4 Jun 1996, morled wrote:

> gerault at shom.fr (Alain Gerault) wrote:
> 
> > WARNING !
> > A young man died from an overdose after consuming Psilocybe
> semilanceata. With 
> > a group of friends,he had consumed more than 50 of these mushrooms in three 
> > intakes on the same day. 
> > Left unattended, he died on the very evening after a few-hour-long coma.
> 
> Semilanceata are relatively weak psilocybes. It takes 20 to 40 mushrooms
> to produce a hallucinogenic effect. More likely, this man accidentally
> ingested a few poisonous non-psilocybe specimens.



Also, what was the source to the mushrooms??? Did the victim pick them
himself, or did he buy "mushrooms" form some slimy pusher??? In that
case,they could easily have been any "LBM's" (even including P.Semilan-
ceata...),laced with any witch's brew of chemicals(eg.strychnine,
phencyclidine,etc.).

T.Emilsson






More information about the Mycology mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net