Morels make me sick, why???

Doug English denglish at iastate.edu
Wed Jun 5 11:16:01 EST 1996

Hi,

        There must be some subscribers to this group who live up north and
hunt mushrooms this time of year.  Twice this year I've had fresh morels from
the local woods and both times I became violently ill.  4-6 hours after
ingestion I started a slight fever and completely purged my digestive system,
vomiting and diarrhea, and was unable to keep even water down.  Obviously this
is either an allergic reaction or food poisioning.  I have eaten morels many
times in the past and never had any problem.  The only difference is in the
past I had soaked the mushrooms in salt water to kill the little critters and
get the sand and dirt out.  Is this a crucial step in de-toxifying these
fungi?  I know of at least one store in Minneapolis that sells fresh morels
and they don't seem to specify any prep procedures and I have even heard of
people eating them raw.  What gives? Have I developed some allergy to this
particular mushroom?   One other thing,  I have actually read on
one occasion that some people react badly to these mushrooms.  Any ideas out
there?

Thanks,
 Doug