Fatality after consuming hallucingenic mushrooms

Mycos williams at netshop.net
Wed Jun 5 08:34:17 EST 1996


neocon at ix.netcom.com wrote:

>Joe Yandle wrote:
>> 
>> Alain Gerault wrote:
>> >
>> > WARNING !
>> > A young man died from an overdose after consuming Psilocybe semilanceata. With
>> > a group of friends,he had consumed more than 50 of these mushrooms in three
>> > intakes on the same day.
>> > Left unattended, he died on the very evening after a few-hour-long coma.
>> > : email :
>> > Alain.Gérault at shom.fr
>> 
>> if i drink a gallon of water in a day, it is harmless.  yet if i drank
>> 50 gallons, i would probably die a painful death.  does this mean that
>> water can now be considered deadly?  i think that it means that if
>> you're stupid enough to eat 50 psychedelic mushrooms in a day, you've
>> reaped what you've sown.  what a way to die.
>> 

>How big are the mushrooms of this species anyway?  I've eaten way over 
>100 stunzii at a time, but they are tiny.  If this "fatal" species is 
>anything near in size to cubensis, this frog musta been fuckin' nuts!!!


P. semilanceata is much smaller than stuntzii but it is quite strong.
However 50 isn't a "terminal" dose. On Vancouver Island, where they
grow seemingly everywhere, there's a "Mushroom King" tradition
where the idea is to beat the record for most eaten. Eating more than
50 has surely happened often in pursuit of the "crown". I myself have
eaten numbers approaching that. 
   Alain sent me a medical report on the poisoning in question and it
is quite complete. An autopsy and gastric contents analysis was done.
Other drugs were absent. Spores of semilanceata were present.Spores of
other fungi were absent.The conclusion was is that he collapsed , went
into a coma, and died after eating the mushrooms.
   However, in my opinion, the response still  must have been an
idiosyncratic one owing to the many instances of people eating as many
or more. My conclusion; Don't worry about it!




More information about the Mycology mailing list