IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Fatality after consuming hallucingenic mushrooms

Claude de Contrecoeur Cyrano at beehive.twics.com
Fri Jun 7 17:51:54 EST 1996

In article <4p46ts$1m9 at solaris.cc.vt.edu>, dgaines at vt.edu (David N. Gaines) wrote:
>In article <4ou9v8$inl at oceanie.shom.fr>, gerault at shom.fr says...
>>A young man died from an overdose after consuming Psilocybe 
>semilanceata. With 
>>a group of friends,he had consumed more than 50 of these mushrooms in 
>>intakes on the same day. 
>>Left unattended, he died on the very evening after a few-hour-long coma.
>Lapsing into coma for a few hours and dying? The symptoms of his death do 
>not sound like any I have heard of from typical mushroom poisoning. Thus, 
>if he had ingested some other toxic species along with his original dose 
>there would have been a characteristic reaction to that toxin.  
>Psilocibe semilanceata are quite small and 50 does not sound like a huge 
>ammount.  Could he have eaten something else which greatly synergized the 
>psilocibin or some other component?  Was it an alergic reaction?  Did 
>this happen in France, and does that region have a subspecies of P. 
>semilanceata which contains additional neurotoxic substances not found in 
>the North American species?   A more complete pathology report would shed 
>light on this issue.
>David Gaines (dgaines @vt.edu)
I know people who ate Psilocybé semilanceata for YEARS in France with No poisoning.

More information about the Mycology mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net