Eating Grain Spawn

Weasel Tracks weaseltrax at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 8 19:25:14 EST 1996

In article <4p08f7$4gk at news.ccit.arizona.edu>,
nyles at bonaire.ccit.arizona.edu (nyles) wrote:

> Every time I go out and innoculate a substrate using my
> homemade grain spawn I always end up eating some.
> To me it tastes great.
<deleted>
> Does anyone know if this is safe?
> In the case of Maitake and Reishi, do you still derive the medicinal
> benefits?

People often eat psilocybe spawn, apparently without harm. With flowering
plants, there's considerable variance in concentration of particular
substances, thus the medicinal recipes which call for particular parts:
roots, bark, leaves, etc. With fungi, I think the mycelium is more uniform
in chemical distribution, be it fuzz or fruitbody. However, I think I
remember that interferon is most concentrated in shiitake spores, and
you're not supposed to wash morels if you can help it because the flavor
is concentrated in the spores. Perhaps spores are an exception to this.
Check out the literature and see how much the spores matter in these
medicinals.

   ---Weasel Tracks

--
Telling the truth when    | "I'm just a sucker for recursive logic."
   I say that I am lying, |

--pseudohaiku by Vincent Grzybowski