Fatality after consuming hallucingenic mushrooms

H.R. Coyle ENG4HRC at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 07:45:13 EST 1996

Alain Gerault wrote:

> WARNING !
> A young man died from an overdose after consuming Psilocybe semilanceata.
With
> a group of friends,he had consumed more than 50 of these mushrooms in three
> intakes on the same day.
> Left unattended, he died on the very evening after a few-hour-long coma.
> : email :
> Alain.Gérault at shom.fr

I'm new to this group, but felt I had to just say hello here and add to the
alarmingly small number of people posting with some idea of the huge
distortions implied in the above report.

I live in the UK and Psilocybe Semilanceata is very common here, and is as
synonymous with hallucinogenic mushrooms as Stropharia Cubensis seems to be
in the states. They are *tiny*. My regular dose for a light trip (or going to
a rave) is 40 dried P. sem. I have taken up to 100, and have friends who have
taken around 500 dried specimens. It's an intense trip, but obviously not
lethal. Obviously, the above tragedy was due to some other factor.

I hope some more information is forthcoming from Alain on this matter,
because it's a highly irresponsible piece of misinformation to proclaim this
event as a "warning" to users of P. sem. It could give someone a nasty trip
if they had the above info floating around their mind as they do a perfectly
reasonable dose of mushrooms.