IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Fatality after consuming hallucingenic mushrooms

H.R. Coyle ENG4HRC at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 07:45:13 EST 1996

Alain Gerault wrote:
> A young man died from an overdose after consuming Psilocybe semilanceata. 
> a group of friends,he had consumed more than 50 of these mushrooms in three
> intakes on the same day.
> Left unattended, he died on the very evening after a few-hour-long coma.
> : email :
> Alain.Gérault at shom.fr

I'm new to this group, but felt I had to just say hello here and add to the 
alarmingly small number of people posting with some idea of the huge 
distortions implied in the above report.

I live in the UK and Psilocybe Semilanceata is very common here, and is as 
synonymous with hallucinogenic mushrooms as Stropharia Cubensis seems to be 
in the states. They are *tiny*. My regular dose for a light trip (or going to 
a rave) is 40 dried P. sem. I have taken up to 100, and have friends who have 
taken around 500 dried specimens. It's an intense trip, but obviously not 
lethal. Obviously, the above tragedy was due to some other factor.

I hope some more information is forthcoming from Alain on this matter, 
because it's a highly irresponsible piece of misinformation to proclaim this 
event as a "warning" to users of P. sem. It could give someone a nasty trip 
if they had the above info floating around their mind as they do a perfectly 
reasonable dose of mushrooms.

More information about the Mycology mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net