Mushroom growth on "waste" effluent

Todd Leopold SLeopold at gnn.com
Tue Jun 18 22:51:13 EST 1996

My name is Todd Leopold, and I am the Brewmaster for the Ann Arbor
Brewing Company.  We are in the process of designing an
environmentally sustainable brewery in Ann Arbor, Michigan, U.S.A.

I am writing to your group to ask if anyone has experience with
growing edible mushrooms on solid wastes.  I know from my readings
that Hericium Erinaceus and Lentinus Edodes grow rather well on a
mixture of soil, used brewing grains, and solid brewing wastes, but
I was hoping that someone may have conducted in-depth research in
this area.

Please accept my sincere apologies if my question is outside of the
normal scope of your discussion group.  From what I can read this
is a forum for serious mycologists, and my question may not be
appropriate.  Thank you all in advance for your time.

Best Regards,

Ann Arbor Brewing Co.
Todd E. Leopold
Brewmaster