Mushroom growth on "waste" effluent

Geoff Steckel gwes at
Sun Jun 23 17:08:43 EST 1996

In article <weaseltrax-2306960109360001 at> weaseltrax at (Weasel Tracks) writes:
>Arora describes Pl. ostreatus growing on waste coffee beans.
>I once tried growing Lepista nuda on leaves. Got specimens on a trip to
>California and brought them back to Vermont. Propagated a piece of flesh
>on agar (beautiful pale violet mycelium). Made some grain spawn and
>inoculated old, old maple leaves sterilized in jars. Got tired of waiting
>for it to fruit and forgot about it. Months later I came across the jars
>again and found misshapen fruitbodies.
>   Anyone have suggestions on getting them to fruit in jars? in nonsterile
>   ---Weasel Tracks

I prep'ed my substrate by piling hardwood leaves (mixed oak/maple)
on a slope at the edge of my property for several years.  One year
later I broke a locally acquired L./Clitocybe/whateveritisnow nuda
into chunks and dispersed it into the decayed leaves.  No further
care was done.

The next fall and for several falls thereafter, about at first frost,
I got a crop of Blewits.  (Boston, MA area).

Have you tried 'The Mushroom Cultivator'?  It has a section on Blewits.

	geoff steckel