Reply: L. nuda fruiting difficulty

Ralph D. Arnold rarnold at teleport.com
Sun Jun 23 21:56:06 EST 1996

Of course, Stamets & Chilton's book "Mushroom Cultivator" (1983,
ISBN 0-9610798-0-0) has a section on Lepista nuda. They do list
a 'spawn-run timelength' of up to 60 days, plus 14 days pinhead.
Perhaps 3 months is not unusual.

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996 01:09:36 -0500,
Weasel Tracks  <weaseltrax at earthlink.net> wrote:

>I once tried growing Lepista nuda on leaves. Got specimens on a trip to
>California and brought them back to Vermont. Propagated a piece of flesh
>on agar (beautiful pale violet mycelium). Made some grain spawn and
>inoculated old, old maple leaves sterilized in jars. Got tired of waiting
>for it to fruit and forgot about it. Months later I came across the jars
>again and found misshapen fruitbodies.
>   Anyone have suggestions on getting them to fruit in jars? in nonsterile
>media?
>
>   ---Weasel Tracks

W.T.:
I pulled this file out of the FUNGUS search-by-subject page
at http://www.mtjeff.com/fungi
Good luck!
Ralph Arnold

/////////////////////////////////////////////////
FUNGUS Digest (November22-30, 1995)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 13:31:00 -0700
Subject: Cultivating Blewit?

I am interested in cultivating blewits (Lepista nuda).
Does anyone know where I can obtain information
on the indoor/outdoor cultivaton of this mushroom?
Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

<<Moderator's Note: Here is some info I gleaned from different sources.
Please,please,please provide any knowledge/experienceyou might have
personally withthis species>>

Clitocybe nuda"Wood Blewitt" (=Lepistanuda =Tricholoma nudum)

BOOKS:
"the Mushroom Cultivator" by Paul Stamets & JS Chilton (c)1984
      Agarikon Press     ISBN 0-9610798-0-0    (pages 180-184)
<<this book is a MUST...it's L. nuda section covers indoor techniques.
  They do list a 'spawn-run timelength' of up to 60 days, plus 14 days
pinhead formation>>

"Mushrooms in the Garden" by Hellmut Steineck  (c)1984
       Eureka Printing Company   ISBN 0-916422-50-x    (pages 23 & 134)

"Mushrooms & Trffles: botany cultivation and utilization" by Rolf Singer
      (c)1961  Interscience Publishers ISBN unknown   (pages 167-168)

MAGAZINE

"Mushroom the Journal"Back Issues, Mushroom, Box 3156, Moscow, ID 83843
$4.50 ech --info in 27:24 and 45:17 (outdoor tips)

-------------------------------

Fungi Perfecti   mycomedia at aol.com
P.O. Box 7634(phone)  360-426-9292
Olympia, WA   98507                 (fax)    360-426-9377

Northwest Mycological Consultants     (phone) 503-753-8198
702 NW 4th Street(fax)   503-752-3401
Corvallis, OR  97330  USA

WesternBiologicals Ltd (phone/fax) 604-856-3339
PO Box 283  Aldergrove, B.C., Canada V0X 1A0
<<please tell 'em you rad it in FUNGUS>>

The following referencewas recommended to me last year:

Guinberteau, J., Olivier, J.M. & Tanne, M.N. (1991). Improvement of
Lepista species cultivation, technical factors and selection of
strains. In 'Science and Cultivation ofEdible Fungi', volume 2,
(edited by M.J. Maher), pp.615-621. Published by A.A. Balkema:
Rotterdam & Brookfield [ISBN 90 5410 023 0].