Mushroom growth on "waste" effluent

John Gilles jgilles at waite.com
Sun Jun 23 17:55:12 EST 1996

I'm aware of some research at Sonoma State University on growing
shiitake mushrooms (Lentinus edodes) on grape skins discarded by
wineries after the crush. The pH would have to be adjusted because
grapes are far too acidic, but that's pretty easily done. There's a
huge oversupply of such "waste," so it would be nice to utilize it
rather than take it to the landfill. Good luck.