PETRI Dishes

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 15:38:19 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/mycology #1109, from smokinjoe at turbo.com, 1340 chars, Thu  29
Feb 1996 12:30:26
> ----------
> Article: 3143 of bionet.mycology
> From: smokinjoe at turbo.com
> Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
> Subject: PETRI Dishes
> Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:30:26 GMT
>

> I was just wondering is anyone had any info of auppliers of
> inexpensive plastic Petri Dishes (100mm?) Standard mycological dishes.
>
> One other question,  I own 10 Glass Petri Dishes, but have yet to
> develop an effective technique for sterilization.  Mind you, I do all
> of my work in the "Home Kitchen Laboratory", w/ 921 pressure cooker,
> and a homemade glove box(10 Gallon Fish tank w/Plastic covering).
> Also,I do not have a Petri Dish rack for the cooker, but even if I
> did, wouldn't the dishes become (infected, non-sterile),  when they
> were being removed from the cooker and being placed in the glove box,
> without the use of a HEPA???.
>
> One final question, Does anyone know of any sources of fresh hard wood
> chips in the NYC area, maybe even Long Island???
>
> Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions?
>
>     -Joe

Hi joe,
really showing my age now, as I started the "magic art" of microbiology
before plastic arrived. A pressure cooker shoul be oK but why not use a
cooker oven ? 160 Celcius for an hour is what you want. No restrictions
on the size of container. A biscuit tin should serve. (It will smell
awful until the paint burns off).
Your Fish tank/plastic sheet inoculation cabinet is probably the major
source of grief. I don't remember seeing anything like that in photos of
our old pal's Pasteur's outfit. A major contribution to good
microbiological practice is to do it on your own, tell everyone else to
find something else to do ! Cut down air movement. Did Robert Koch have
a HEPA, I doubt it !
Get on with it. Try a few controlled expts on where contamination might
be coming from.
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science
(We really know about mucky atmospheres)
The University of Reading, UK.