Morels growing in my backyard

wrsandrs at wrsandrs at
Sat Mar 9 14:57:09 EST 1996

Hello all,

I live in Laguna Beach, CA.  It has been very damp here and cold.  Growing up from the dirt between the moss-covered bricks in my patio are what look like morels.  They don't look quite like morcella elata, because the ribs are not black.  Otherwise they are very similar to pictures I've seen.  I am not a mushroomer, but am a gourmet cook and would love to eat these if they are safe.

Are there toxic species which could be mistaken for morels?  I am suprised to find them growing here, is it even possible?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Bill Sanders
wrsandrs at