Fungi are NOT plants!!!! (was Re: Bread Mold)

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 13 06:15:44 EST 1996

SteveZiegenfuss wrote:
(nice mold discussion snipped...)

>         Does this sound a little like a plant's life cycle?  It should.
> Molds are really very simple plants.

I understand you were trying to keep things simple, but this is an often-repeated, and (I believe)
very misleading statement. Molds are _similar_ to plants in some ways, but they're similar to
animals in some ways, too. Why not keep it simple and say that molds are molds? Don't worry, even
very young and tender minds can absorb the truth - you don't need to insulate kids from knowledge.
--

Susan Jane Hogarth

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html

       .      .-~\